1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You know that you're old school if you can....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Big League Chew...thank you Jim Bouton!

I remember when Nickeldeon used to SIGN OFF at 8pm Eastern. That was back when it still showed episodes of "Tomorrow People."

2. boots

boots New Member

Don Kirschner's Rock Concert
    The Midnight Special
    Go-Go girls

3. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Watching "This Week in Baseball" every week especially for the highlight and blooper packages. I get a good dose of nostalgia when I see them on ESPN Classic.

4. boots

boots New Member

How about Home Run Derby. I remember Hank Aaron winning.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

The Addams Family

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Good one, Gold, but I was more of a Munsters fan than Addams Family. Al Lewis is Grandpa was the best.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

when the tv day would start by playing the National Anthem.....anytime I saw that, I knew I was up early.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Not to mention the interminable wait for the set to "warm up" once you turned it on.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, it would sit and buzz for like two minutes, then flash on in a deep red color. Boy, I remember kicking the shit out of that set on Saturday afternoons in the fall when it would screw up during a football game -- the only televised football game of the day.

Anybody play "Pull" baseball? "Pull" ball was when you didn't have enough for a full baseball game but still wanted to play. We'd play four-on-four or five-on-five. A pitcher, a shortstop and two outfielders. (If there was a fifth, he played third.) Everything had to be hit to the left of second base. To the right was an automatic out. You threw to the pitcher to get the batter out on a ground ball.

We played damn near every night in the summer from the seventh grade on up until I graduated from high school. There were some nights on the little league fields around our house in which all eight fields had pickup games being played. In the fall, we used the outfields for football games.

I've got a park right by my house now. Drive by it every day. I see pickup games out there once a week -- pickup games of that frisbee shit. And not a soul out there is under 25 years old.

10. Hockeyscribe

Hockeyscribe Member

...remember when the NBA was watchable.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Watching The Baseball Bunch on Saturday mornings and being (sadly) entertained by it. The show had the same diverse casting as your average early 1980s screwball boob flick -- you had the nerd, the jock, the fat kid, the Asian guy who knew about physics and stuff, the tomboy and an everyman or two mixed in for good measure.

Bucky Dent once said the best way to break in a glove was to coat it with shaving cream and let it sit for a day or two. I have no memory of high school algebra, but I've never forgotten that shit.

12. boots

boots New Member

remember Robert Merrill.

Draft saved Draft deleted