1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You know that you're old school if you can....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 3, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"This is a test of the emergency broadcast system. This is only a test. In the event of a real emergency ..."

And the test pattern on TV when the station signed off, preceded by the national anthem.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nothing beats slot hockey.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

... listen to rock music on AM radio at night (WLS was an awesome station).

4. miroba71

miroba71 New Member

And I'm even more ashamed to admit that I remember Van Halen's "Jump" winning for about 10 weeks in a row. Then they brought Def Leppard back for a showdown against Van Halen, and Def Leppard won like 51 percent to 49 percent. I was so pissed because I didn't think Def Leppard was as cool as they were, like, three months earlier.

5. boots

boots New Member

When Mickey Mantle pitched Mapo and Hank Aaron pitched Wheaties. Great commercials.

6. Well...slut hockey does!

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Speaking of Dobie Gillis, who played Dobie's father, Herbert T., and in what famous holiday movie did he play a cab driver?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Geez, Casty. Make 'em tougher.

Frank Faylen and he was a cabbie in It's A Wonderful Life.

OK, I know entirely too much about "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillies" (full title of the show)

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

spnited, you are truly the Rain Man (as some if us used to call you) because you know everything. And that wasn't an easy question, but I will try to think of something more difficult for you.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

... remember when

-- Television stations signed off at midnight with The National Anthem

-- The Weather Channel first started

-- You watched something called "MTV" begin as a network on the first day it debuted

-- A glimpse of a nipple through a garbled screen on HBO or Cinemax, which your parents didn't subscribe to on this new thing called "cable TV," was a big deal at school the next morning

-- they announced that Elvis was dead

-- the kidnapping of Patty Hearst, and her release

-- Atari Pong was the game to have

11. Milton Armitage was Warren Beatty,
    Herbert T. Gillis -- the greatest TV father of all time.
    "I gotta kill that boy. I just gotta."
    Also, Dobie's parents were played by a doubly alliterative couple -- Frank Faylen and Florida Friebus.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Damn, F_B, I was about to throw the Florida Friebus question back at Casty!

Draft saved Draft deleted