1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You know that you're old school if you can....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 3, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Too easy. I guess we've done all we can with Dobie Gillis. I won't even ask you who played their teacher, Mr. Pomfrit.

2. It's vicious when the old guys start playing.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

That was Mr. Pomfritt (two Ts), .. or as Maynard always said, Mr. Pomfriit. sir

And he later played the father on two other series.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

William Schallert and he played Patty Duke's father. I can't think of the other one right now, but I'm not goint to rack my brain since I have to sign off and go watch On The Waterfront on TCM.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Played Nancy Drew's father (Carson Drew) on the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries series

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I have to tell you, spnited, that I never in my life watched the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew ... and if I did, I wouldn't admit it.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

A young Pamela Sue Martin as Nancy Drew... are you kidding me!

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

He also played a cartoonist father on a show that was partially animated.
    Didn't he also play the Billy Mumy's father on the Twilight Zone episode about the boy with psychic powers that terrorized his family?

9. boots

boots New Member

If you can remember Action Jackson, Action Boy, Major Matt Mason, GI Joe and Johnny West.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great call HC on both counts... he did indeed.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Dwayne Hickman series was good.

The movie, "The Affairs of Dobie Gillis", was better.

Bobby Van as Dobie . . . Debbie Reynolds . . . and Bob Fosse as the pre-Maynard sidekick.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Loved watching Dobie Gillis when it used to be on CBN (now ABC Family) and then on Nick at Nite.

How can anyone leave this memorable phrase out of the Dobie Gillis conversation?

Herbert T. Gillis: "My boy, you need to work."

Maynard: "WORK!"

I still can't believe that Zelda is a lesbian and an elected official. But she did get her "man" in the reunion movie about 20 years ago on CBS. ;D Name the other young star at that time who went on to be a t.v. executive like Hickman? (Clue: he was a sidekick who wore spandex)

Draft saved Draft deleted