1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I have a stick and it’s got plenty of life left in it to make it to when my kids learn to drive. I’m insistent that they learn on a manual because they’re infinitely less likely to space out behind the wheel and it makes it harder to text while driving. Which they both know will get their privileges revoked immediately anyway.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I write a few checks because I have too many passwords to keep track of as it is.

And nothing gets automatically debited or charged. I want control to press all buttons sending my money somewhere or charging me for something.

Batman likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Hey 1) plenty of Millennials can drive stick
    2) it isn’t our fault our Boomer/Xer parents taught a lot of us on automatics
    3) also not our fault most cars are automatics now. That was in the works before we started driving

Kindly return to your porches, we’re not on your lawns

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Sears Christmas Catalog

5. Driftwood

Wearing a collared shirt, tie, dress pants, and a store-issued vest while bagging groceries and then taking them out to people's cars.

It was a huge badge of honor and swagger when I was promoted to stock and got to the ditch the red vest for a blue apron.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

7. Driftwood

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This can't be because they're young. There's no excuse for not knowing how to address an envelope. Seriously?

What? They've never seen an envelope in a mailbox? A bill? Anything?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Sears Wish Book was decidedly inferior to the JCPenney Christmas catalog. I refuse to address claims that JCPenney’s lingerie selection was much larger.

Slacker, I Should Coco, Huggy and 2 others like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That reminds me of at the Gannett paper I worked at, the sports reporters would update the phone hotline at the end of the night with all the major sports scores. After a few years (mid-2000s), stopping the hotline was a major topic of discussion because there were still people calling it and we wanted Dooley to go to the website.

That, and the time we had a local high school soccer team in the state championship game. We had feature stories running all week with a box, touting updates in the hotline. Even then, on game day, we had probably a hundred calls to our main line, asking for updates. We were like, didn’t they see we have a hotline for that?

11. Baron Scicluna

I still write checks for my heat/electric bill and still have it come to me by mail because I still want to stare at the bill, gripe and groan, then write out the check. Just like my Dad.

Plus, the company sometimes messes up the billing, and I’d rather see it than just let them deduct automatic payments.

My local governments offer online property tax payments, but with a 2.5 percent fee. I just got my village taxes, which were about $1,000. If I paid online, it’s an extra $25. Screw that, out comes the checkbook.

PaperDoll, Roscablo and Batman like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Also, kids these days can watch cartoons all day. They don’t know why Saturday mornings were special, or have to dread seeing Days Of Our Lives on the TV during the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted