1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I think about newer automobiles with touch screen control of everything. You have to look at it to make sure you are hitting the right icon or whatever. In my truck, I have full control of the radio and climate control through tactile feel. I never have to look away from the road.

Slacker likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

On one hand, I'm conditioned to look for my speedo and tach in the dash. OTOH, given where I position my steering wheel – which sometimes ends up partially blocking a full view of the key gauges – I wonder if a true HUD would be more of a help than hindrance.

In the middle, between the driver and passenger? No. Just no. That's where more the gauges that have much less to do with the direct driving experience should be. Problem is, with some manufacturers offering fewer gauges – meaning we troubleshoot ourselves less and less before going to a mechanic – what's left to put there? Sorry if I don't really give a crap how big the touchscreen in the middle of the dash is.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have a Mazda, and it seems to be a happy medium. The important gauges are in their normal location. The infotainment screen in the middle is controlled by a knob in the console — it's not a touchscreen — and gives provides secondary information like tire pressure, maintenance info and warning lights.
    It's a nice mix of getting more information with the tactile feel of button controls.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My Lacrosse had the heads up display, which is a hell of a game-changer if you can get used to it being in your line of sight.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No self-respecting Jeep CJ owner sees a problem with this.

upload_2023-7-11_11-8-40.jpeg

MileHigh, FileNotFound and Driftwood like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They should make more speedometers with the 5-15-25-35... intervals.

Seems as though speed limits are more often on those intervals.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Combination CD and cassette player? Double points!

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That's a great idea. I don't feel like I've ever seen a speedometer with those intervals.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I wish I could have the CD player I had in my last car in my current car.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Pizza Hut buffet was the best.

Seemed like when I went, all the good options were gone so you ended up trying the green pepper and mushroom combo (and others like it) until a fresh pizza or two with the better toppings came out.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

garrow, I Should Coco and MileHigh like this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When I was young and could handle any amount of grease the American food service industry could throw at me, nothing on earth tasted better than a fresh thin crust pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut, although the garlic cheesy bread came damn close. But something about their food doesn’t hold up well. After about 15 minutes away from the oven, the quality plummets and no amount of specialized reheating can properly revive it.

That was never a problem on Friday nights out with the family, because the slices were gone by then. But when everything became pickup or delivery, there was no more eating it fresh from the oven.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted