• Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

GB-Hack said:
Inky_Wretch said:
MN Matt said:
GB-Hack said:
Sure, but its a five round tournament. With no replays and a shootout at the end if its still tied, its worth five games max, four for the team that defends its title.

Boo to that. It's an OPEN Cup for a reason. Any team in America that wants in should be in. Imagine limiting teams in the FA cup to 32.

Exactly.

So you're saying the SportsJournalists.com all-stars should get a team together to enter?

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Though I fear we'd wind up brawling over the club name (SJ United, FC SJ, InterSJ, Chivas SJ, the possibilities are endless) and kit design.

Seriously though, for it to be a true open cup, then there should be some route for an over-30 rec team to win enough matches to get to face an MLS side in a knockout round.
 
What about the exploits of amateur side FC Roma last year?

Beat Chivas USA on penalties and made it to the fourth round.

http://www.usopencup.com/home/140255.html
 
Del_B_Vista said:
Interesting final day of the Premiereship season, setting up a long offseason of crying about Tevez.

I really liked his post game reaction. This wasn't a guy looking like he was trying to figure out what type of house he should get in Milan or Barcelona -- he gave it all down the stretch and on Sunday.
 
NoOneLikesUs said:
What about the exploits of amateur side FC Roma last year?

Beat Chivas USA on penalties and made it to the fourth round.

http://www.usopencup.com/home/140255.html

Well ok, but make it like the FA Cup, where the lower levels have to play some qualification and two regular rounds before they big boys join in.
 
GB-Hack said:
NoOneLikesUs said:
What about the exploits of amateur side FC Roma last year?

Beat Chivas USA on penalties and made it to the fourth round.

http://www.usopencup.com/home/140255.html

Well ok, but make it like the FA Cup, where the lower levels have to play some qualification and two regular rounds before they big boys join in.

that's exactly what the U.S. Open Cup is doing

the 32 lower division teams that qualified play each other on June 12, then the winners face each other two weeks later with the eight winners of those matches facing the eight MLS teams that qualified in the third round in July
 
Inky_Wretch said:
GB-Hack said:
Inky_Wretch said:
MN Matt said:
GB-Hack said:
Sure, but its a five round tournament. With no replays and a shootout at the end if its still tied, its worth five games max, four for the team that defends its title.

Boo to that. It's an OPEN Cup for a reason. Any team in America that wants in should be in. Imagine limiting teams in the FA cup to 32.

Exactly.

So you're saying the SportsJournalists.com all-stars should get a team together to enter?

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Though I fear we'd wind up brawling over the club name (SJ United, FC SJ, InterSJ, Chivas SJ, the possibilities are endless) and kit design.

Seriously though, for it to be a true open cup, then there should be some route for an over-30 rec team to win enough matches to get to face an MLS side in a knockout round.

I'll be Jose Mourinho. I've always wanted to spend an entire match brooding on the sidelines and then bitching about my opponent's tactics after a loss.
 
Okay, Good Doc, you're the Special One of FC SportsJournalists.com 07.

Perhaps we can get DocTalk to be our team doc and the guy who runs onto the pitch with the magic spray when Pastor is writhing in pain after a hard tackle.
 
According to the Manchester press, the Blues have decided not to keep DMB. Wonder where he ends up.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1007/1007058_beasley_released.html
 

Rumblings on a Rangers Message Board yesterday had people desirous of pulling him in. I doubt he ends up there as management is cheap as can be. But, I know I would enjoy it. :)
 
The Magpies are going to release Onyewu also.

DMB will go back to PSV. He was just on loan. Same for Onyewu. Although, there were so many big-name clubs going after him during the transfer window. I wonder if his status will be tarnished by Newcastle's poor showing?

What will happen to Convey? Will he come back to the MLS? He won't play for Reading again.

I would like to see him sign with someone like Aston Villa, or Newcastle, with coaches who are good at developing talent.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top